Saffron Ice Cream
Typically flavored with zaafaran ( saffron) and rose-water this Ice cream is to die for! You can use the same recipe whether or not you use an ice cream maker. Add pistachio nuts for a little texture and hey presto creamy exquisite ice cream.
SAFFRON ICE CREAM
- 1/2 pint of milk
- 1/2 pint of cream
- 3 tablespoons of caster sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- a good pinch of saffron
- 3 tablespoons of rose-water
- crushed pistachio nuts
- Place the milk in a pan and bring to the boil. Put to one side.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together and add the milk and be sure to continue to whisk.
- Return to a medium heat and stir continuously until the milk begins to thicken. DO NOT LET IT BOIL! or the eggs will separate.
- Take a good pinch of saffron and a pinch of sugar and grind to a powder in a pestle and mortar.
- Add the saffron to the milk and stir in.
- Add the rose-water and stir in.
- Leave the whole mixture to cool down. To speed up the cooling process, stand the milk (still in the pan) in some cold water. It should only take a maximum of 15 minutes.
- When cold, add the cream and stir in.
- If you’re going to use an Ice Cream maker follow the instructions and don’t forget to add in the pistachios
- If you’re not using an Ice Cream maker, add the pistachios and pour into a clean container and place it in the quick freeze area of your freezer.