Khoresht e feseenjan or Persian walnut and pomegranate stew.
Khoresht e Feseenjun is an exquisite Persian dish made with ground walnuts and pomegranate paste. Although it actually doesn’t look so great, it’s to die for. It’s more a dish that you would make for a special occasion rather than everyday. Typically it’s made with poultry, chicken turkey or duck or you can substitute the poultry with meat balls. The dish is intended to be both sweet and very slightly sour.
KHORESHT E FESEENAN or PERSIAN WALNUT AND POMEGRANATE STEW
- 1 kilo gr chicken or turkey
- 2 large onion
- 500 gr’s of ground walnuts
- a generous pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 teasp of turmeric
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/2 teasp of salt
- 5 tablespoons of pomegranate paste or 2 cups of pomegranate juice.
- 6 glasses of water
- Place 6 glasses of water in a pan and bring to the boil.
- Add salt, ground walnuts, pomegranate paste and sugar
- Lower the heat and allow to simmer for about 3/4 hour. The oil from the walnuts will come out and help to thicken the khoresht.
- Meanwhile chop the onions and fry in a little oil until golden
- Add the chicken pieces ( or meat balls ) and brown off
- Add the turmeric and stir in
- Add these to the khoresht and leave to simmer on a low heat for about another 40 minutes
- Just before serving sprinkle with a few chopped walnuts.
Serve with plain white rice and a fresh salad.
HOW TO MAKE POMEGRANATE PASTE
It’s not always easy to find Pomegranate paste unless you live near an Iranian grocery store. But don’t worry it’s really very easy to make yourself. Here’s how:
- Take about 6 cups of pomegranate juice and bring to the boil
- Add a little salt and a little lime juice ( or lemon juice) to taste and simmer for about 3/4 hour or until the sauce thickens.
- When thick remove from heat and pour into a jar with an airtight lid.
- Allow to cool and store in the fridge.
Nooshi joonet. Enjoy.